Got A Question?

Tenant & Landlord FAQ’s

We have compiled a list of our Tenant & Landlord FAQ’s about renting a house, but if you still cannot find the answer you are looking for below, please feel free to contact us.

Tenant FAQ’s -Looking To Rent House?

We arrange an accompanied viewing, if the property is suitable you will need to complete and return an application form that you will be given on the viewing, upon submitting your application form we will require and application fee of £200 + VAT. We then carry out a credit check with the credit reference agency before accepting you as an applicant.

We require a first months rent and a Bond equivalent to the first months rent. If you have any pets, and the pets have been agreed by the Landlord, we often ask for an extra £100 on the bond. The payment will be required in full when the tenancy agreement is signed and the keys are released.

Not on all properties, it depends if the Landlord will accept housing benefit tenants, we are normally informed on the rental valuation, whether or not they will accept Housing Benefit applicants.

All Tenancy Agreements are for 6 months. At the end of the 6 month tenancy agreement it doesn’t mean that the tenant has to vacate, the tenancy agreement becomes periodic. Should a fixed tenancy have not been resigned notice still applies to both parties, whether the Tenancy Agreement is fixed or periodic.

If we manage the property you will need to inform us of any repairs, we will arrange for our contractor to call and fix the problem. If the Landlord decided to manage the property themselves you will be required to contact the Landlord direct.

You will be liable to pay all the utility bills, i.e council tax, electric, gas, water, TV licence.

It is a tenants responsibility to maintain gardens while residing at the rental property.

You will be given Standing order details to pay your rent upon signing the tenancy agreement, provided we manage the property, or alternatively if the Landlord manages the property themselves you will be given the Landlords bank details.

Your deposit will be protected and placed in a government scheme at the start of your tenancy, provided we manage the property. If the Landlord manages the property he/she will be required to protect your deposit in a government scheme.

Landlord FAQ’s – Want To Get A Property Listed?

We offer Find Tenant Only or Managed service the difference between each package is with Find Tenant only, we carry out the viewings, process the application form, collect the first months rent and Bond equivalent to the first months rent and provide the Tenant with bank details for rent payments.

With the managed service we carry out the viewings, process the application form, collect the first months rent and Bond equivalent to the first months rent, take meter readings and contact utility companies, carry out the Inventory, Carry out regular inspections, collect rent each month, and arrange any maintenance work required with our local team of contractors.

We aim to advertise your property on all major property websites within 24 hours of your instruction.

The process is simple and begins with uploading your property details and photographs approximately within 24 hours. Once tenants see the advertisement they then contact us to arrange a viewing and are given an application form to ensure they meet our criteria (i.e pets, housing benefit etc).

If the tenant likes the property, we ask that they return the application form completed with an offer to Let, we then submit the application form to our credit reference agency, and perform comprehensive reference checks before accepting the tenant.

Our reference checks include a credit history check, previous Landlord reference and employer reference. They normally take around 3-5 days to process.

We will provide you with the result of the tenant reference check and provided you are happy we then make contact with the tenant to arrange signing of the contract and payment of rent and deposit.

Yes. We offer a wide range of Landlords services such as EPC’S, Gas Safety Certificate and service, Electrical report, as well as most types of maintenance work. We can also pass Landlords details on to our Insurance broker who will contact you direct.

An EPC is a requirement for all properties being Let, and is valid for 10 years.

Gas Safety Certificate last 12 months, if you have selected a managed service, we will automatically arrange a Gas Safe engineer to test your appliances, and issue you with a new certificate.

Electrical report last 5 years, an electrical report is advisory. (We do recommend a yearly visual)

Here’s an example of what an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) looks like.
Example EPC

Can't find the Answer?

If you have a question that is not covered above or anywhere else on our site please feel free to contact us and we'll be happy to answer your questions.

  • The Property Ombudsman – Lettings logo
  • Deposit Protection Scheme Logo
  • Information Commisioners Office

Durbins Lettings Limited - Registration Number 9436930 - The Property Letting Experts

. Privacy Policy.